Monday, April 19, 2010

There's no crying in baseball ... well, almost

The High Desert Mavericks is a Single-A Minor League professional baseball team that has played in a stadium near our home for 20 years now. In all that time, Jim never missed a home opener (the first home game of the season, in the first half of April each year), including the team's first, championship season, which he covered for the local paper. Even after he left that employ in June 1992, he followed the team, often covering it for the paper with which he had the longest association -- on and off for nearly 30 years -- the San Bernardino County Sun. Sometimes, we attended Mavs games just for fun, as simple fans.

He was even there in 2008 and 2009, in his wheelchair, with me.

This year we did the next best thing. Last Thursday, April 15, 2010, several of us -- mostly his close relatives, but also a few of his/my friends who had been in touch with me during the preceding month -- sat together at the HardBall Cafe (actually outside seating around restaurant-like tables, with waitress service from adorable young women). That was after I threw out the first, honorary/ceremonial pitch in his name, wearing a team jersey and his favorite ballcap, both black-and-red.

We sang, we danced, we cheered, we reminisced, we even watched the game a little. Everyone signed a souvenir program for me, ditto with the two foul balls that found their way to our section, one landing close to me, one close to his mom.

And, even though everyone knows that there's no crying in baseball, I did shed a few tears, as I do every day.

Back in fall 1991, after the team won the California League, I framed Jim's two companion articles. The team's management very kindly suggested that we hang the piece up in the general manager's office. Soon, I have to write a thank-you note and also suggest that we leave it up for a while; maybe they'll agree to keep it there all season.

3 comments:

  1. Judy, Cuz marcy here. I enjoyed reading your entries, especially this baseball one. My mom said she was a Yankees fan since the day her uncle (your dad's dad i believe) took them to Yankee stadium when she was about 10. Yankees baseball was near religion in our household growing up. Wondering if you came upon the religion of baseball through Jim, or perhaps your dad? I am a converted Phillies fan by the way. TAke your time in finding an appropriate place /destination for Jim's baseball things. The process is where the gifts and angels are to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad still is a baseball fan, and I was a huge fan when I was 11 ... fairly typical, I believe. Minor League games are my favorite, as they are professional enough to be, well, professional, yet the stadiums are small, clean, safe and fun ... and the teams obviously are eager to please their fans.

    I hope to see my dad on Sunday and, if I remember, will ask about that Yankees game.

    And, yes, all of Jim's things were precious to him, so much so that he wouldn't allow me to toss so much as an empty sweetener packet. I WILL have to do that, of course, and much more, eventually, but I go into this task -- with regard to both the baseball possessions (numerous) and others -- with awe and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen Allen and William PrattMay 7, 2010 at 10:10 AM

    The ball game was very enjoyable, and a very close score. I really thought the Mavs were going to beat the Storm; however they came out in a release of Thunder!

    The company was exquisite, and the food was much needed by the time of arrival.

    I am very grateful that I was chosen to be a part of this memorial ceremony for a man that went above and beyond requirement.

    Thank you for including me.

    ReplyDelete